Last Updated on September 13, 2023 by Emily
There are a lot of facts people don’t know about massage guns which are very important before buying any massage gun. To clear all of your confusion read this post till the end.
Let’s Start From the Beginning.
What is a massage gun?
The massage gun is an electric, mostly battery-operated, hand-held massager, that uses deep, powerful impacts to perform a deep massage on the body. The reason for the name “massage gun” lies in the shape of this muscle massager. Visually, this massager has certain similarities to a gun. Therefore it is also called the “massage gun”.
A massage gun exerts quick, direct and strong pressure on a specific muscle group or region of the body. The goal is to solve deep tissue and muscle problems and to shorten the regeneration time of the muscle before or after an intensive workout. The electric fitness massager also improves mobility by loosening the treated muscle group and also promotes blood circulation to the muscles. Treatment with a massage gun is therefore comparable to trigger point therapy, deep tissue massage or percussive massage.
Due to its handy shape, the electric vibration massager can be used by hand to relieve muscle tension and to balance muscular imbalances in the body. So there is no need for a second person to use the massage gun.
Due to the numerous benefits, massage gun is now used by many alternative practitioners, especially physiotherapists and chiropractors inpatient treatment.
How does a massage gun work?
Do you want to buy a massage gun? If yes. Then, you must be familiar with how does a massage gun works? Here we will discuss how a massage gun works.
A Massage gun is the most widely used muscle recovery tool nowadays. It is highly recommended by medical professionals. It is a massage gadget shaped like a gun used to massage different body parts to maximize physical and mental health benefits. A massage gun works as a vibrational tool. These massage tools work to massage the body in a fluctuating motion, typically upward and downward. Each massage gun work in different intensity levels from very low to high that a person can easily control according to their needs. Usually, people used a lower intensity level for recovery work and a higher intensity level for muscle stimulation. Different massage attachments are also available with massage guns.
How to use a massage gun by yourself?
If you are all by yourself & want to get a deep tissue massage, using a massage gun is not a difficult task. Studies suggest that a massage gun works 30% more effectively than a normal massage. It relieves pain, muscle soreness & increases blood flow.
You can use a massage gun by yourself because it’s easy to use it.
- Press the power button of the massage gun and let it do its work. Please do not start the massage gun by placing it on any body part.
- Gently put the massage gun on the area where you want to do massage. Do not try to apply extra pressure and force on it. Use different massage attachments according to body needs.
- First, start the massage gun in low intensity, gradually increases its power if needed.
- Breaths calmly, do inhale and exhale while using a massage gun so that your macules can release anxiety, stress, and tension.
What are the Benefits Of Massage Gun?
The massage gun has numerous advantages that benefit athletes, fitness athletes and people with back problems. The benefits of the massage gun are listed below:
- Pain treatment – especially for muscle hardening, sore muscles, trigger points and tension in the back and neck
- Accelerate muscle recovery time after a workout
- Improved blood flow to the muscle tissue
- Improve mobility and agility
- Optimizing muscle elasticity
- Dissolution of lactate and scar tissue
- Lowering the cortisol level through a relaxing massage
- Independent application possible on most parts of the body
As you can see, the fascia gun offers a lot of health benefits that were not possible with previous vibrating massagers. Furthermore, due to its practical size and the included, powerful batteries, the Massage Gun is very mobile and durable.
If you want to take your muscles to the next level or treat your back pain, don’t hesitate and buy a massage gun.
Massage gun volume
When you hear the word “massage”, the first associations that come to mind are “calm, serenity and relaxation”. Unfortunately, most massage gun only have 2 of these 3 expectations.
Because with a volume of sometimes up to 90 decibels, these fitness massagers are not particularly quiet. Since these muscle massagers work with insane repetition rates of sometimes over 3000 bumps per minute, the engine is in full swing. But if you want to own a powerful and effective muscle massager, you have to make a small smear in most models in this regard.
If you value a quiet massage gun, we recommend the following models:
- ChiroGun ONE: 40-63 dB
- Hypervolt: 50-65 dB
- EVIEUN: 50-65 dB
Quality of many vibration massage tools
Cheap massage guns also have major disadvantages that they are less motorized. This means that no additional pressure can be exerted on your own. The massager stops when there is too much pressure on the area to be treated. The higher quality massage tools, on the other hand, also work with additional strength.
Especially with regular use of the massage gun, the muscles gradually get used to the intensity of the trigger point therapy exercised by the machine. It is advisable to buy a massage gun that has several intensity levels and also works if you apply additional pressure.
RECOMMENDATION: In the massage gun tests carried out, the ChiroGun, TheraGun and Hypervolt massage gun were found to be particularly recommended! These continue to work without any problems even with additional effort.
Massage Gun for Fitness Athletes and Competitive Athletes
Fitness athletes and high-performance athletes have always used various methods to keep the muscle always ready and healthy and to accelerate the regeneration time of the muscles. Because what could be worse for a passionate athlete than taking a break due to muscular fatigue or injury! In addition to adequate sleep and healthy nutrition, which are a matter of course for professional athletes, there are other measures that are known to have a positive effect on the regeneration time of the muscles. Other examples are: ice baths, physiotherapy measures, saunas, acupuncture, active relaxation or meditation, to name just a few.
With the massage gun, a new tool is now in the spotlight that promises athletes to regenerate their muscles faster. An athlete who pushes his body to the limit every day counts on reliable muscles. However, a healthy muscle also requires appropriate rest periods to deliver the best possible performance. The massage gun can drastically shorten the rest phases, so that no training session has to be stopped due to sore muscles or other signs of fatigue.
Read Full Review of best massage guns for athletes
How to use a massage gun for warming up?
A massage gun is very effective to warm up the muscles. For warming up, switch it & aim it on your skin. Let it vibrate. Move it up & down of each muscle group for 90 to 120 seconds. It is recommended to use on muscle bodies only. Using a massage gun near joints or on joints can cause damage to them.
If you are going to use a massage gun as warming up tool? Here are few simple techniques for you to operate a massage gun properly that you must follow for better results.
- Relax the muscles. Before starting the massage gun on your body, you must put your muscles in relax condition. Never put massless in a stretched state like in ads. Take a deep breath, do inhale, exhale and enjoy relaxed muscles after using a massage gun.
- Move slowly. It’s not necessary to move your massage gun speedily on your body for warming up your body. Swim your massage gun slowly along your desired body part to warm up before exercise. Do not put extra pressure on your massage gun. It may be painful for you.
- Be careful around the bone and sensitive area. If you want to warm-up around your bone area, you should use your massage gun carefully. It would be best if you prefer to try the soft head of a massage gun for massage around your bones. If you do not have a gentle massage head, put a towel over the bone area before using the massage gun. You will otherwise hurt the bone
Is Massage Gun Good For Back Pain?
The massage gun is a suitable tool for people who want to take their muscles to the next level and optimize muscle regeneration. In addition, the vibration massager is particularly suitable for normal people who want to treat their existing back pain and muscle tension.
Whether you are doing an office job or doing physically demanding work. Long sitting and heavy-weight strains our muscles. The back is particularly affected.
People who have little exercise due to work and who usually even spend several hours on an un-ergonomic office chair develop over time body misalignments, such as a rounded back. This misalignment causes a regular chain reaction in the body, which can lead to chronic back pain, muscle tension and restricted freedom of movement.
Fortunately, you can train and treat a rounded back. The massage gun is particularly suitable for the treatment of such physical malpositions, since it penetrates deep into the muscle tissue and can thus effectively remove scar tissue, knots and tension.
Read About the Best Massage Gun for Back Pain
What else do you need to buy with a massage gun?
When you go to buy a massage gun, you need to buy these things too with it.
- Attachment heads: Whenever you buy a massage gun, keep in mind that massage attachments are necessary. Because of the availability of different massage heads, you can massage various body parts.
- Massage gun case: It would best if you also bought an appropriate massage gun case with it. So you can keep your massage gun in its case.
How effective is a massage gun?
A massage gun is highly recommended by medical professionals. Earlier it was used by athletes only but now it is the need of a layman. The demand for massage guns has increased all around the globe as it gives a number of health benefits.
As we all know, massages always create surprising results for a person’s health. The use of massage gun is useful for the human body in different ways like
- Better performance in exercises. Every healthy man starts their day with physical activity. Because workout keeps a man active all day and increases their performance, if you use a massage gun before a workout, it will warm-up your muscles and increases your movement ability. You can use a massage gun during a challenging exercise, too, to take relief for the next preps. If needed, you can enjoy the benefits of a massage gun after completing your training for relaxing your back, shoulders, legs, hips, and feet.
- Warm-up you. A massage gun is a handy tool when you want to warm-up your body during your routine or job. It will turn your body from un-relaxed to a relaxed mood.
- Address stress: The power of the massage gun is like magical massage therapy. Take a massage gun with you, and whenever you want to decrease stress, increase work efficiency, enjoy it during work.
- Enhance Quality sleep: Many people complain that they face problems getting quality sleep due to shoulder stress, pain in the legs and feet, headache, and backbone issues when they spend a hectic day. The solution is the massage gun, a helpful tool for relaxation, reducing pain, and minimizing stress before sleep.
- Improve Blood circulation: Sometimes, we feel headaches and anxiety due to low blood circulation in the body; it always affects our attitude. A massage gun can work as a vibrational tool on your body, and it will increase your blood circulation. An increase in blood circulation will fix your many health problems.
- Pain relief: Think a while about what you will do when you feel a sharp pain in your neck. You call a massage therapist, but he cannot see you for a massage session until the end of the week? I think it is very hurtful. Right? Then massage gun will work like your massage therapist, and you will feel relax.
Things we considered above. We can say that it’s ideal to purchase a massage gun because it is a beneficial and handy gadget to achieve the best results.
When should the fascia gun be used?
The massage gun can be used both before and after training. But even users who do not train at all will get their money’s worth with a massage gun. This helper tool has different effects depending on when you use it.
Warm-up: Before training , you can use the massage gun to prepare your muscles for the upcoming workout. If, for example, you split your training sessions, it is advisable to treat the corresponding muscle area before the session.
For example, you plan to exercise your chest and biceps that day. Then apply the massage gun to these two muscle groups for approx. 30 – 90 seconds. This will bleed and loosen the muscles so that you can get everything out of your chest and biceps during the workout.
Regeneration: After an intensive workout, your muscles are exhausted and excessively acidified. Normally, your stressed muscles now need at least a 24-hour break to fully regenerate. With the help of the massage gun, you can ensure that the lactate is broken down more quickly and thus ensure faster muscle regeneration. For a good regeneration treatment, the massage gun should be aimed at the trained areas for 1.5 – 5 minutes at the lowest intensity level.
If the muscles are sore, you should be careful when using the massage gun. The sore muscles are nothing more than tiny tears in the muscle tissue. The well-known burning sensation is triggered by the lactate in the torn muscles. Fitness beginners should exercise patience before jumping on the massage gun.
People who do not use the fascia gun to optimize their training results, but want to use them due to corrections of their physical deformities, can use the massage gun both before and after work. Before work, the massage gun has the advantage of loosening up the muscles. Here you can create a false posture of their body for the rest of the day to prevent. After work, the massage gun has the advantage that you can reduce your pain with the treatment. With long-term use you will notice an improvement in your body misalignment.
Read full review of Best Massage Gun For Fascia here.
Difference between Massage Gun and Vibration Massage
What is special about massage guns? Surely they serve the same purpose as the vibrating massagers that can be bought for ages, right? Perhaps this is just a marketing gimmick of the fitness industry? No!
Massage guns, if you may put it that way, are the revised “Arnold Schwarzenegger” version of vibration massagers. These handy muscle massagers deliver a direct, pulsating pressure that penetrates deep into your muscle tissue and provides relaxation. Comparable to a powerful sports massage, the Massage Gun relaxes the body in a rabid way. It shakes and shakes the muscle vigorously, preparing it for physical exertion. On top of that, the muscles are well supplied with blood due to the powerful impacts. If used correctly, the massage gun can even dissolve painful scar tissue caused by injuries during sports.
Conventional vibration massagers, on the other hand, do not penetrate your muscle tissue, but only provide relaxation on the surface. These massagers are primarily intended for athletes who are looking for an easier and more pleasant massage that they can relax with. Vibration massagers are not particularly effective in addressing sore muscles because they cannot apply enough pressure to perform a deep tissue massage.
How much does a Massage Gun cost?
As far as the price is concerned, massage guns have a wide range. However, the price should never be the decisive criterion for buying a massage gun. Because as the saying goes: “If you buy cheap, you buy twice.”
Inexpensive massage guns cost less than € 100. However, these are mostly of inferior quality, are largely made of plastic, are often wired, have little power and also have few accessories in the scope of delivery. As described above in the “Massage Gun Disadvantages”, these models usually do not work with additional force. In most cases they stop and have to be started again. We therefore do not recommend purchasing these vibration massagers.
What should be considered when buying a massage gun?
The massage gun is a takeaway device and can therefore not only be used at home. It is important, of course, that you have the right equipment for the massage heads so that the tense or aching muscles can be worked on in a targeted manner. We would like to explain to you what is ultimately important when buying a massage gun:
Battery and its charging time – How long it’s the battery life?
As a mobile device, the massage gun can be used directly after sport, during work breaks or together with friends on a wellness evening. Since a power connection may not be available everywhere, the battery should have enough charging capacity to be ready for use for hours. The charging time of the battery is usually two to three hours.
Anyone who doesn’t like a gun with a short term battery that can stop during the massage. After a busy schedule, everyone needs to relax but again and again, charging the gun causes inconvenience for the user. So a good massage must-have battery timing three to four hours or weaker have 30 to 40 minutes.
Weight – Is it easy to use?
The gun, including the accessories, should not be too heavy to allow reasonable handling. On average, the weight is around 1.2 kilograms. This makes the massage device light enough for older people without causing signs of fatigue in the arms. When buying massage guns, it is also important to take a look at the handle, because it should be as non-slip as possible and fit well in the hand.
Massage machine should be user-friendly it carries with one hand usually so the weight of the machine and their handles properly adjustable. Mostly at high speed and deep stokes level, it must be user friendly.
Sounds/Loudness -How much loudness does it has?
Massage guns are ideal for organizing a wellness evening with friends. This makes a lot of sense if the back area hurts. It is the only part of the body that is not good to massage alone and where friends can easily help each other. In order not to disturb other visitors or family members in the application, the gun should work quietly. 40 decibels are a good value to enjoy a calm and relaxing massage.
Percussions delivers by it in one minute:
It is usually related to the ability of machines per minute and deepness of strokes. Machines that have an adjustable speed of strokes are best because the user can adjust machines at which level he feels comfortable massage. Also, the depth of strokes can be changed according to body parts because in much-tired situations lactic acid stored parts need more deep strokes to remove.
Customizability – Is the product have any additional accessories?
Customization is the ability of a machine to adjust according to your need. It depends on the target body parts and types of massage therapy you need to use. Some massage guns have fixed head attachment to use. But newer models have adjustable attachments according to your needs. Motors with adjustable stall force are best and friendly to use.
Some Frequently Questions asked by people about Massage Gun
Is the battery or battery included with the massage gun?
Yes, as per rules, the particular battery should include in the massage gun accessories because each massage gun model has a specific battery that may be hard to find anywhere else. The respective battery or rechargeable battery is included in the scope of delivery. However, the manufacturer’s information should be taken into account to check this.
Can the battery of the massage gun be replaced?
The device is usually sealed so that it cannot be replaced. The manufacturer’s information is recommended. So it’s difficult to replace the battery of it. However, you can change the massage gun battery with expert help if the battery is not working correctly.
Does the massage gun stop when a lot of pressure is applied?
No, not at all. It is designed in such a way that it can withstand plenty of pressure in order to really reach the underlying tissue.
Massage guns will not stop when you apply a lot of pressure because massage guns are flexible and can easily bear pressure. But putting a lot of pressure on a massage gun may hurt you. For massage appropriately, there is no need to apply too much pressure on the massage gun. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with pressure. But there are some companies that have designed massage guns with inner motor temperature protections. Once the temperature of the motor exceeds its max limit, the motor automatically powers off. When the motor cools down & the temperature is below the limit, it will restart to work.
Can the massage gun be used when it is on the charger?
No, usually not, but it certainly depends on the device. However, it makes little sense since the cable is usually not very long.
Some massage guns might stop working during charging because of built-in safety precautions. It’s not safe and not recommended to use a massage gun when it is on the charger.
Does the massage gun need to be oiled every now and then?
No, definitely not. There is no need to be oiled a massage gun every now or then. The massage gun is usually maintenance-free and does not have to be treated with any lubricants.
What is the difference between the massage heads of the massage gun?
The individual heads are there so that different areas of the body can be massaged with it. The manufacturer’s instructions usually state exactly which area is used for which head.
Different shapes of massage heads are available in the market to massage various parts of the body.
- Large Ball head: This head’s shape is like a giant softball. People used this massage attachment to massage around the bone area. The large ball is the most used & most versatile attachment of a massage gun. It is a fluffy ball-shaped attachment that is made of rubber. It is most commonly used by beginners. It is used to massage large to medium size body muscles.
- Medium ball head: This head shape is like a medium softer ball. It is perfect for massaging large and small muscles of the body.
- Bullet shape head: This head looked like a bullet. The manufacturer designed it to massage trigger points of hands and feet.The bullet is the most preferred attachment of a massage gun. It aims at a particular part of the body & works well for pesky knots & trigger points. It can easily target hard to reach areas. It is highly recommended for deep massage in dense areas.
- Fork shape head: This massage head is like in a fork shape. You can use it to massage the neck and spine area. It is considered best to massage soft tissues.It is shaped like a fork with two prongs. It is used for body parts that are unevenly shaped such as shoulders, calves, etc. It can easily target the areas which are not easy to reach by the large ball & the flathead.
- Flat shape head: Flat massage head is ideal for massaging the full body to relax.It is commonly used for dense muscles to give a deep massage. It is a rectangular shaped attachment with no sharp edges. It is made of rubber as well. It works more effectively as compared to the large ball.
Can the massage heads of the massage gun be easily replaced?
Yes, it is very easy. As a rule, no special tool is required to carry out the exchange. It’s effortless because there is no need to apply any rocket science to replace massage gun heads
Does the massage gun fit in every travel bag?
Yes, it fits easily. Most manufacturers include a practical storage bag so that all accessories are in one place.
The size of the massage gun is not very big & is light-weighted, so a massage gun can easily fit in any travel bag. It is easy to carry a massage gun in a bag. if you did not get a massage case with your massage gun, you could buy a particular massage gun case from the market so that you can save all fittings in one place
Relax the body, regenerate muscles or relieve pain, the massage gun is a real all-rounder. Since it is a portable device that is usually delivered in a specially designed carrying case, it can also be used outside the home without any problems. It is usually easy to use and easy to use without much effort. It is important that the batteries or rechargeable batteries are charged regularly so that the massage gun can be used at any time.